At SafePower Safety Systems our technicians can install carbon monoxide alarms in homes or businesses. carbon monoxide poisoning has become the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. In Australia, this is also claiming lives. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas, which results from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as wood, kerosene, gasoline, charcoal, propane, natural gas, and oil.
Carbon monoxide is present in low levels in the air. It is formed from incomplete combustion from any flame-fueled (i.e., not electric) device. When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it passes from the lungs into the hemoglobin molecules of red blood cells. Carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin at the same site as and preferentially to oxygen, forming carboxyhemoglobin.
Carboxyhemoglobin interferes with the oxygen transport and gas exchange abilities of red blood cells. The result is that the body becomes oxygen-starved, which can result in tissue damage and death.
Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning cause symptoms similar to those of the flu or a cold, including shortness of breath on mild exertion, mild headaches, and nausea. Higher levels of poisoning lead to dizziness, mental confusion, severe headaches, nausea, and fainting on mild exertion. Carbon monoxide detectors are set to sound an alarm before the exposure to carbon monoxide would present a hazard to a healthy adult. Babies, children, pregnant women, people with circulatory or respiratory ailments, and the elderly are more sensitive to carbon monoxide than healthy adults.
Having the knowledge of where to correctly place the detectors and when they should be services is what our technicians are trained to do. We are also able to test the air quality in your home or business with our carbon monoxide testers.
Don’t risk the lives of your family or staff.